Friday, August 14, 2009

Introduction:

I recently decided to start a blog about my success in making vast ammounts of World of Warcraft gold on the US server Spinebreaker Alliance side. There are countless blogs and websites that share numerous info on making gold in WoW. What i hope to achieve is a unique approach to determining new strategies and analysis of how to optimize my readers' and my own gold making experience. Spinebreaker Alliance is a tough market. To consistantly make any decent amount of gold in a low pop / dying market, you have to know how to adapt. In a way, I am glad that I am stuck on such a market. True, i will never see those massive volumes of auction sales others have blogged and bragged about, but i will never experience a more challenging and thought provoking experience then trying to make 1 million gold on a weak market.

Out of everything WoW has to offer, i find making gold the most challenging and rewarding activity. When arena season 2 came out in Burning Crusades, I had banked the max amount of arena points and honor allowed and immediately purchased my new Season 2 gear. At the time, my focus was completely on PvP and Arena. I loved it, and spent nearly all my WoW play time perfecting it. As always with new content, the prices of gems and enchants skyrocketed that week. I could not afford the appropriate gems and enchants. After struggling for a week or so using farming strategies I found on the web that were now much too popular to make any decent amount of gold (remember skaald for primal fires?), I decided I would try my hand at the auction house. I had always used the auction house and would say that I was already well ahead of the average player as far as knowing the laws of supply meets demand and how to effectively work with them, but I knew that i wasn't nearly as skilled as I needed to be to maximize my auction house revenue. After tinkering with the auction house those few weeks, i became enchanted by the idea of becomming an Auction House Guru. That very month, the first player from Europe achieved the gold cap. After reading about his success my focus began to change from PvP/Arena to strictly the auction house.

In this blog I will tell my story of how I have altered my Auction House strategies from novice to pro through the course of BC and WotLK. Through trial and error I have seen both massive gains and losses. Be assured, I will blog about both. From learning and reflecting on both losses and gains, it has helped me refine my skills to making mass amounts of gold. In this guide I will show you the necessary skills and tools you will need to becoming an Auction House Guru. You will also be able to follow me and my quest for 1 million gold before the next expac.

On the toolbar to the left, i will categorize all of my blogs to the appopriate function. In Wow, there are four main ways to make gold. They are:
Questing: the ammount of gold earned from completing NPC quests.
Farming:Killing mass amounts of mobs for their loot, or mining/herbing/skinning/fishing.
Crafting: Using the available professions to create items used by players.
Reselling: Buying items from players through the auction house or other methods to be sold later at a profit.

Personally, I prefer to use a combination of Crafting and Reselling to make my gold. Although farming and questing can be VERY lucritive (i know of places that can easily make 300-500g per hour), you can never reach the necessary volume of gold (100k+)by strictly farming or questing. The Auction House connects you with thousands of potential buyers. These buyers are often impulsive, impatient, or just lazy and naive, creating a very rewarding atmosphere to making mass ammounts of gold.

Although Crafting and Reselling are my personal favorites, I will not completely ignore farming and Questing, as they can become important parts of your WoW income.

To navigate this page, please first read the Getting Started posts. There are essentials that will need to be completed before you can start dreaming of rolling in thousands upon thousands of gold. These essentials include: Necessary user interface, How to start and effective banking system, Crafting Essentials and Understanding how to make the most using the Auction House.

Lastly, I will be posting a lot of my opinions and views concerning philosophy, politics, culture and random thoughts and rants. Often these will have direct relation to WoW in general and the mindset of the average WoW player. To make the most gold, you have to get into the mind of your potential buyer. A lot of which makes no sense (like why some gems that are totally useless or subpar sell like candy, and others that are much better don't) . A huge part of making money in WoW is understanding the behavior of the typical WoW player. Much of this blog will be about Behavioral Science and Theory, as which am pursuing as a real life career. Wow is the perfect simulation for real world themes, this is a big part of why i enjoy toying with the WoW economy.

I hope you enjoy my blog. Feel free to comment, critisize, or ask me questions! Your input is greatly appreciated and encouraged.

No comments: